The Florianópolis Campus is the oldest unity of the IFSC system, and its history is confused with the Institute itself. This campus was created in Florianópolis by means of decree number 7.566 of September 23rd of 1909, by president Nilo Peçanha, the Escola de Aprendizes Artífices de Santa Catarina (School of Artisan Apprentices of Santa Catarina). Its goal was to offer professional formation to sons of underprivileged people. The first main campus was established in November 1st of 1910, in a building granted by the State’s Government and placed at Rua Almirante Alvim, in the central part of Santa Catarina’s capital.
The institution offered, besides elementary teaching, formation in drawing, typography, bookbinding course, riverside carpentry, sculpting and mechanics (which included ironworks and metalworks) courses, to attend the needs of Florianópolis’ society, which used to travel using trams pulled by donkeys and transported cargo from countryside to abstain the island using shipments. Thus, the institution worked in consonance with technological advances of its time to attend the demand of the productive sector and of the society of that period which needed solutions on communication via paper impressions and solutions on transportations which had, as main technology, the production of small shipments and horseshoes.
Main campus and status changes
Ten years after the installment, the Escola de Aprendizes Artífices de Santa Catarina (School of Artisan Apprentices of Santa Catarina) transferred its main campus to a building at Rua Presidente Coutinho, also at Centro of Florianópolis, where it set place until 1962. In January 13th of 1937, by means of law number 378, of January 13th of 1937, the institution changed its name and status to Liceu Industrial de Florianópolis (Industrial Lyceum of Florianópolis) and, five years later (decree-law number 4.127, of February 23rd of 1942), was turned into Escola Industrial de Florianópolis (Industrial School of Florianópolis). With this change, the institution started providing basic industrial courses with 4 years of duration to students who came from elementary school, and master courses to potential master profession candidates.
In 1962, the Escola Industrial de Florianópolis (Industrial School of Florianópolis) was transferred again to the new main building, at Av. Mauro Ramos, in the center of Florianópolis, at the very same place where now runs Florianópolis Campus and that until 2006 was the main campus of the institution. The name and status of the institution changed again in 1965, with law number 4.759, of August 20th of 1965, becoming Escola Industrial Federal de Santa Catarina (Federal Industrial School of Florianópolis).
From 1968, with Ministerial Order number 31, of June 17th, the institution became Escola Técnica Federal de Santa Catarina (ETF-SC) (Federal Technical School of Florianópolis). During that time, the gradual process of extinction of the Junior course, by means of the suppression of the registration for new students attending the first grade. The goal was to make the institution specialized in second degree (currently the high school) technical courses. After the edition of the Lei de Diretrizes e Bases da Educação Nacional (National Education Bases and Guidelines Law) (law number 5.692, of August 11th of 1971), also known as LDB, and the primary and secondary school reform introduced by it, the ETF-SC, as it was called then, started to work only with secondary teaching.
New courses and campi
In the 70’s and the 80’s, the ETF-SC implemented various courses, as the one ones in Main Roads, Sanitation, Electronics, Electrotechnics, Telecommunications and Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, mainly motivated by the “Brazilian miracle” movement, which fomented the use of technology to economical development. In 1988, the school started offering the Telecommunications and Refrigeration and Air Conditioning courses in São José, a city in the metropolitan region of Florianópolis, in a building granted by the prefecture. Three years later, the institution established the São José Unity, in installations of its own. It was the first unity of the current structure of IFSC outside the catarinense main capital.
At the beginning of the 90’s, with the arrival of the services and computers era, the ETF-SC started offering courses as Computers, Nursery and Workplace Safety. In 1994, the third unity of the institution was implanted, being the first in the countryside of Santa Catarina, in Jaraguá do Sul, in the north region of the state. At the time, the offered courses were Textile Industry and Electromechanics. A year later, in the city of Joinville, they started offering the Nursery Technical Course, as an extension of the Florianópolis unity.
Change to CEFET-SC and expansion phase
The federal law number 8.948, of December 8th of 1994, automatically transformed every Escola Técnica Federal (Technical Federal School) in Centros Federais de Educação Tecnológica (Technological Education Federal Centers), conditioning the act of the publishing of an specific presidential decree to every new center. In the ETF-SC case, the transition to CEFET-SC was officialized in the March 27th of 2002, when the creation decree was published in the Diário Oficial da União (DOU) (Union Official Journal). After the transition into CEFET-SC, the institution started offering higher education technology courses and lato sensu (specialization) graduation courses.
In 2006, as part of the federal professional and technological education network expansion plan, the CEFET-SC established three new educational units. One of them, the Continente Unity, was installed in the continental part of Florianópolis, offering courses in the area of tourism and hospitality.
The two other unities were implanted in Santa Catarina’s countryside: in Chapecó, in the west of Santa Catarina, and Joinville, in the north of the state. Also in 2006, the institution started offering the Fishing Technical Course, the first on sea fishing in the country, in Itajaí, in the northern seaside of Santa Catarina, bound to Continent Unity. The seventh education unity of CEFET-SC started its activities during February of 2008, in Araranguá, in the southern region of Santa Catarina.
Changing into IFSC and new expansion phase
The Law 11.892/2008 of the December 29th of 2008 implanted 38 new Federal Education, Science and Technology Institutes. The Federal Institutes are based on basic, professional and higher education institutions distributed in various campi. Specialized in the offering of professional and technological education, also have strong insertion in the areas of researching and extension.
In 2009, IFSC went through a new stage of expansion, with implantation of campi Caçador, Canoinhas, Criciúma, Gaspar, Itajaí, Lages, São Miguel do Oeste and Urupema and, in 2010, campi Geraldo Werninghaus (in Jaraguá do Sul) and Xanxerê were federalized, besides the implantation of campuses Garopaba and Palhoça’s bilingual campus (specialized in the education of hearing impaired students).
In 2011, with Expansion Plan III, also were created campi São Carlos and Tubarão, which are in implantation phase, besides the Advanced Campus São Lourenço do Oeste.
Source: ALMEIDA, Alcides Vieira de. Dos aprendizes artífices ao CEFET-SC. Florianópolis: CEFET-SC, 2002.